Autumn is one of my most favorite times of the year. The sound of leaves crunching under my feet, the slight nip in the air, and the gorgeously vibrant red, yellow, and orange foliage that decorates our landscapes is enough to make me fall head over heels for this season over and over again!
But what I love most about autumn are the comforting flavors that feel like a warm hug on these cooler days: cinnamon, sage, thyme, maple, pumpkin… not to mention the delectable plants that are ready to harvest and shine on our supper tables.
Now that our mouths are watering, let’s dive into a yummy OLA-infused recipe featured in my Autumn menu! These tasty squash croquettes will make for a memorable appetizer at your next dinner party — or, an elevated snack to enjoy under a cozy blanket on a chilly afternoon! This recipe pairs beautifully with sesame ginger SAVOR OLA, which acts as a lovely finishing that highlights this recipe’s delightful fall flavors. Bon appétit!
Butternut Croquettes with Spicy Maple Mustard and OLA Savor Drizzle
- 1 medium butternut squash cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 T olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1 T curry powder
- 2 tsp. ground star anise
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Spicy Maple Mustard:
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2-3 tsp. sriracha or to taste
- 1 bottle of Flower Farma’s OLA in Savor
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the butternut squash cubes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and arrange them in an even layer on baking sheet.
- Bake until pierceable with a fork, but still pretty firm, 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Place the butternut squash into food processor bowl with the onion, garlic, panko, flour, smoked paprika, curry, star anise, salt and pepper. Pulse until ingredients are well blended, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Mixture should contain some chunks.
- Roll mixture into balls and then press down slightly to form cakes.
(If desired, recipe can be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 2 days, until just before ready to serve.)
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with remaining olive oil and place over medium heat.
- Working in batches if needed, arrange croquettes in an even layer in skillet. Cook until browned on bottoms, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on opposite sides, about 4 minutes more. Croquettes can be held in a warm oven.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt, if desired.
Make Spicy Maple Mustard:
- Stir all ingredients together in small bowl. Can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Ladle 1 T servings of mustard onto 8 appetizer plates. Place 2 croquettes on top of mustard. Drizzle with OLA Savor.